Friday, August 29, 2014

All made of hinges

The thing about the board/case for TARDIS Run is it relies on embedded hinges that have a mere half millimeter of space between them. If your 3d printer is putting out to much plastic, perhaps because you upgraded to makerware and haven't adjusted the feedstockmultiplier setting in the configuration files yet, you end up filing those gaps so that your hinges are not as flexable as a hinge should be.

This time to calculate the right value I decided to focus on the hinge. So I took a cube, put it around just the hinge, and Boolean included me a new test. Then I and them at various values for the feedstock multipler; 1.00, 1.02, 1.05, 1.07, 1.10 and 1.12. At 1.02 the hinge could bend with a little cutting free. At 1.10 there was a gap in the top, meaning I wasn't putting out enough plastic to do to fill. So this time I went with 1.05. I also had opportunity to fine tune my level to the perfect height, only to discover that the clip holding the plate down is thwarting that effort.

Now I'm back to printing TARDIS Run. Hopefully I can keep ahead of demand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.